Saturday, September 02, 2006

The Re-making of Aragorn (Step 3)

Thanks for checking back and welcome to the third step in my "Re-making of Aragorn" series. In this step, I take the armature that I have created and "skin" it to get it ready to begin sculpting my new model. I need to build up a basic human form in the proper porportions and attach the new Aragorn head from step 1.

The first thing that I must do is coat the "metal putty" armature with a thin layer of Super Sculpy. I make sure to push hard as I do this in order to get Sculpy down into the many holes that I poked into the metal putty. This will allow the clay to adhere tightly to the armature and not slack, or fall off. Notice that I also went ahead and roughed out the basic foot shapes while I was at it.

When I am finished, I end up with a "fleshy" armature and I am ready to begin sculpting!







I stick the head to the top of the armature and work the clay into the torso so that the head will not fall off. I do the head separate because it is easier to hold and sculpt that way, and I am not committed to an entire body, if I should wish to toss the head and start over.


I then begin to add the rough anatomy. I like to work additive this way because I can very quickly build up an accurate body and change the muscle mass until I am happy. I find this easier than just carving into a block of clay.






I finish getting the basic torso anatomy roughed out being careful to use my proportion chart for reference. Notice that I only have nubs for the arms. I only have the suggestion of the arms to help me get the shoulders correct. Once I get the torso completed, I will be removing the arms and making my special "key" joints. The arms will be made into separate pieces in separate molds. This will help me make a 2 piece body mold easier. (see the posts on my other characters like Boromir, Legolas, etc).


After I get the rough anatomy, I then smooth out the edges and end of with a "nude" model that I can now start "dressing" and detailing.

Check back soon for the next step!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home