Thursday, September 14, 2006

The Re-making of Aragorn (Step 6)

Thanks once again for tuning into my series "The Re-making of Aragorn". I have the nearly completed body up to this point and will be concentrating on his hair in this step.

I start by adding fresh clay to the head; making sure to push firmly to get the clay to enter the holes that I had pierced all over the top of the head. This technique works great even if you have already hardened the head clay. In this case, I have deliberately kept all the Super Sculpey clay "wet", so I will have even better adhesion to the head.




Next, I lay on sheets of clay in the rough shape of Aragorn's hair, and using my trusty toothpick as a carving tool, I start adding the individual hair details. I work "shoulders up" and in layers (just like the clothing).






From the front as I have "shaped" the hair silhouette.





















I add
the bangs to the forehead and Aragorn's likeness takes shape!

And (drum roll please......) the finished and hardened, new and improved Aragorn model! All that is left is my fine tuning the details, adding some engravings on the belt, and a little sanding to remove some imperfections.

Now, I just have to sculpt his arms and the travel gear!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home