Thursday, November 02, 2006

The Re-making of Aragorn (Step 16)

Oh, There you are! Welcome back to my "Re-making of Aragorn" model-making series. Short post this time. During coats of paint (last post) I prepared the final wood bases.

I don't use anything special. I buy simple pre-cut wood from my local craft shop. I inspect them for flatness and for the fewest defects (knot-holes, sap, knicks...etc).

I sand them and pre-treat them with a wood conditioner (helps the wood absorb an even stain)






5 - 15 minutes after applying the conditioner, I apply the wood stain (Cherry Wood). It is the same stain that I have been using for this entire series.





After allowing the stain to set overnight, I wipe off the excess stain and applying a polyurethane gloss sealer. 2 coats works best and makes this cheap wood look great!





Ready for final assembly!

2 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

What was the actual stain color printed on the minwax can? I like the way your base came out and want to use that color when i refurbish my drum kit.

12:13 PM  
Blogger ADAM said...

Hi, nothing fancy... says it up there in the blog "Cherry Wood". I liked the reddish color as well. Gets a deeper red the longer you left it on the wood.

6:21 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home