Thursday, November 02, 2006

The Re-making of Aragorn (Step 11)

Welcome back to my "Re-making of Aragorn" series on the model-making process. In this post, I will be pouring the rubber into my mold casings.

There are varying degrees of involvment to preparing rubber and pouring your molds, from professional to amateur. You will choose a rubber compound based on the level that you are prepared to put into your molds. Some rubber compounds require vaccuuming (degassing) in a chamber in order to remove the air bubbles, caused by stirring, before you can pour it. If the air is not removed, then you will cause bubbles to settle against your part and ruin your molding. Others, are more amateur friendly (but less durable), and do not require degassing.

I am only planning a very small run of my kits (3-5 pulls), and do not need to have durable, long-lasting molds. Plus, I do not have an expensive vaccuum chamber to degass my rubber. So, I opt for a "knowledgeable amateur" process with an easy rubber.

I have found that "Smooth-On" brand silicone rubber is great and, true to its name, goes on to your part smooth. I use the "OOMOO-30" formula, which is a nice firmness when dry. Since, you do not degass the rubber, the air stays in and can be seen throughout the rubber when you cut the mold open. However, this formula breaks surface tension against your part and forms a nice mold regardless.

It is
a two-part rubber (A and B, Pink and Blue), which is mixed 1:1 ratio and turns purple so you can see it visually mixed.










Even though the rubber goes on smooth, you do not want to risk inadvertently trapping air (air is the enemy) on the part as you pour, so DO NOT pour your rubber across and over your part. Instead, pick an area away from the part and gently pour your rubber into this spot. Allow the rubber to slide into the mold and around your part from the bottom, which will increase its chance of traveling into all of the small areas and details.

Continue to fill until you reach your desired level. I like to mark a level line on the mold wall, based on the part. You should shoot for 1/4" around small parts and 1/2" around large parts.





My molds are poured and drying! Next, I remove them from the molds!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home