Thursday, November 02, 2006

The Re-making of Aragorn (Step 12)

Welcome once again to "The Re-making of Aragorn" series on model-making. In this post, I will be removing my clay model from the rubber molds to preparing for pouring the resin.

This is one of the most crucial steps to my two-part molds, as I must carefully cut the rubber open following the red line I drew for the seam. If I make a bad mistake, or damage the mold, then I will most likely have to start over on sculpting the model (as the clay model is destroyed in the removal process).

I start by removing the wooden base from my model. It is secured to the armature in the rubber by four screws. Notice, that I had the fore-sight to install the screws up through the bottom to make this step easier. I simply remove the screws. With a little tugging and hitting the wood base, I manage to pull it loose from the hot-glue and the rubber.

I remove all of the cardboard and contemplate the cutting of the rubber. If you look closely, the red line that I drew on the wood (for the seam) has transferred to the rubber. I know exactly where to start cutting.




I carefully cut using sharp knives and exactos, prying the rubber apart so that I can keep an eye on the red line on the model. This part is a little more difficult than it seems and takes a bit of hand strength as the rubber is firm.



Carefully...carefully. Inch by Inch. * Notice the air chase holes around the top of the rubber. Those reach into the mold to all of those difficult areas that would trap air.




Ahhhh! I now have a two-part mold for the body. Depending on the wetness of the clay, and the amount of detail, you will need to pick and clean the mold to remove small bits of clay that remain in the details and tight areas of the rubber.



Oh, and remember what I said about the original being destroyed? Don't get too attached to your clay model, as they are (more times than not) broken badly while removing them. So, you really get one good shot at making a good mold (major rebuilding work aside). So, be careful cutting. You should definitely make small easy parts to practice on before going into a masterpiece with amateur mold knowledge.

The sword scabbard mold. Notice all of the air bubbles in the rubber, but that the part impression is fine. Smooth-On rules!






Now, let's tryout the molds and pour some resin!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home