Thursday, November 02, 2006

The Re-making of Aragorn (Step 17)

Well, you've made it this far, let's see this model finished! Welcome back to my "Re-making of Aragorn" model-making series. In this post, I will assemble the final painted pieces and mount the model to the wood base.

I chose to paint the model in a completely unassembled state for a deliberate reason. Due to Aragorn's dynamic pose, with many overlapping pieces, in was easier to get paint all around the model with the pieces loose.

Before I can assemble the model, I must scrape any paint from the surface of the joints.










I need to get the areas where the glue will go back to bare resin. With a little fore-thought, you could always mask over these areas. I find that with the area a little scratched and roughed-up, I get a better adhesion with the glue, so I don't mind scraping the paint.










This time around, I chose to use a resin-based "gel" glue. This glue has a little body to it and is great for filling in gaps and gluing hand-made parts that loosely match. Apply generously.




Drum roll (bum bubm bubm)... And the finished Aragorn! I mounted him to the final wood base using the foot pattern (from earlier) and re-using the same wood screws I used to mount him to the temporary base. I will finish the model with self-adhesive black felt on the bottom of the base and set him in a nice place on a shelf with the other characters.












I'll be taking my VR photos soon and will add Aragorn to my links at the top of this page. Check back soon for news of my next character... Gollum!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home