Thursday, July 19, 2007

Gollum is complete! I'M DONE!!!!!!!

Well, at long last, I have completed my Lord of the rings model project! Thank you for hanging in there and reading my blog of the progress.

All said, it's taken me about 3 1/2 years to get to this moment, and "whew!" I'm tired. Heh heh. The journey has just been slow, with many delays along the way, but I stuck in there determined to see all of my models finished.

This is the end of the Lord of the Rings series, but not the end of my modeling "career". I have lots of new ideas and things that I would like to try molding and casting. I have just made my mind up that I will not "plan and attempt" ten models all at the same time. Heh heh. What was I thinking??? No, I think from now on, I'll plan, design, and complete one at a time so that I can stay fresh and not get overwhelmed by the project (like I was on this one).

So what we have here, is Gollum. Clocking in at 7 inches tall (from rock bottom to head), which is about the height of one of the standing hobbits. Gollum is, of course, hobbit scale, just seated. The rock helped me get him up to about the same height as the others so that Gollum would not appear small.

I decided not to cast the hair into the resin and, instead, chose to glue individual strands of a very fine doll hair (that I got from one of my daughter's old dolls that had a head scale about Gollum's size). The strands were first attached (after sealer) with light drops of a white glue, then sealed on with a glaze of white glue. I achieved the "greasy" and clumped look by combing the hair with white glue, and I finally re-sprayed the acrylic sealer over the dried glue to bring back the luster and make the model's polish consistent.

I hope you like him as much as I do. Gollum is now my favorite of my LOTR models.

I made 5 complete Gollums, in all. I'm keeping one (of course), stay tuned as I decide what to do with the others. I might try one or two on Ebay at some point. Maybe look for him in a couple months.

I do hope that you've enjoyed my blog. Check back later (might be a while , as I take a break and do some other things) and I'll start working on some new model ideas (This isn't just a blog for LOTR models after all, heh).

- ADAM












3 Comments:

Blogger Unknown said...

Yooooo Adam u really did a GREAT JOB!!!! GOLLUM Is SWEEEEEEET!!!!!! I love how you got the detail of the hair and his back, that is awesome!!

4:18 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

this is your best one yet! oh wait...not yet...it's the last one so it if officially the best one. great job! raaaaaaaaaaaaaaadddddddd.

7:31 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

this is your best one yet! oh wait...not yet...it's the last one so it is officially the best one. great job! raaaaaaaaaaaaaaadddddddd.

7:31 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home